21 May 2007

New Sound. Old Marketing Ploy.

'You like Linkin Park? You kidding me?' Gasped a client of mine who is like me, about to blow a 50 candle-lit birthday cake. But today the blowing of candles on the cake is not me or my dated client. The cake in question is for the birth of Linkin Park's new third studio album Minutes to Midnight! Arguably rock's most anticipated album this decade so far. And waited I have after 4 long years. I told one of my music freak pal that I will rush out first thing. But hold it. Not so fast, I told my legs. Eventhough its already selling in store 5 days ago, I have to tell myself to hang-in there for a while. Why? that's because knowing previous music CDs marketing ploy, the single disc album will most likely evolves to a double disc a year later with extra tracked and remixes. So that put a Linkin Park fan like me in a huge dilemma. Should I rush out to get the single disc album release first so that I am not left out of the hype? But yonowat? I am living in Malaysia. I nearly forgot about our local night market where I can sample songs first before I buy the real McCoy. And so I did just that last night.

So how is the new Linkin Park? Will I buy their new album? On sampling there are a few rock gems here and there. Eventhough its not like their previous 2 albums where they hold you by your throat instantly. But I am not here to review their new album. I am here trying to get rid off my Beyonce B-Day because a year later today, I was compelled to dish out extra doe for a double disc CD album Beyonce B-Day just for the irresistable repackaging of new songs bursting to the seams complete with a DVD!!! Its worth it I must admit. I am really not happy with such bloody marketing ploy. Any music CD collecting enthusiast can tell you that. Yes I will most definitely buy Linkin Park's Minute to Midnight CD because I am huge fan. BUT only when their re-mixed re-packaged re-stuffed re-grooved re-DVDed double disc album CD starts to ship out that is. Now the frustrating question is, will they?

.

1 comment:

  1. Fai san
    Veni-vidi-vici(not yet for me).
    square and solid...informative...
    intelligent.....
    good job indeed.....
    **************
    It has puzzeled me for a quite longtime... why shinoda... why shinoda.... shinoda.....
    has to do with LP.......
    NO WONDER!!!
    I like Linkin Park too. yet not a fanatic to it.
    Buy the cd at once... and tell me about it....

    ReplyDelete